Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Effective Base
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:29:59 +0200

Rich,

While I do not remember the exact numbers, the longest effective RF base is
that of the M3, followed by the 0.85 M6 and then the regular M6, M4, M2 (the
last 3 are all the same). The SM Leicas and the CL/CLE are all shorter than
the Ms. I believe Erwin has a writeup with the real numbers on his site.

Nathan

Rich Lahrson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>      What is the 'effective' rangefinder base of the different Leica M
> models?  What was the effective base of the screw mount Leicas and the
> Leica CL or Minolta CLE?  I recall reading that the old Contax
> rangefinders had the longest effective rangefinder base.
>
>      Was the screw mount effective base longer than the M3?
>
>      Also, what is the magnification of the screw mount rangefinder?
> It seems about life size.
>
>      BTW, the effective base determines the accuracy of focus.  I
> longer base means longer lenses can be focused more easily.
>
>                                 Cheers,
>
>                                                         Rich Lahrson
>                                                         tripspud@wenet.net

- --