Subject: Re: [Leica] Rubber finder ring smudges glasses...cure???
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:01:41 -0400

> Cognoscenti!
>
> The pair of M6's I am using daily are both 10 years old.  The thin rubber
> ring around the finder is breaking down from age and use (I guess) and the
> byproduct of this breakdown is leaving a oily/waxy residue on my glasses.
> Its driving me nuts...I am constantly cleaning off my right eyeglass.
> Leica service says they can replace the rings for $70. in parts plus labor
> which turns into $200+ plus time without the gear.
>
> So the question...has anyone found a quick cure for this?  Are there
> alternatives?
>
> As always, thanks for any and all help.
>
> Hintlian
>
> P.S.  90mm APO/ASPH is amazing.

You could try using some electrical tape, cut into a very thin/short strip.
Then because this tape is plyable, bend it on and around the view finder
then rub it well with your finger this will heat it up and make it stick
better. Or you could just take the old rubber pieces off and throw them away
and not use anything at all.

Steve
Annapolis

http://www.streetphoto.net