Subject: [Leica] Re: Stepup Rings
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:57:32 -0400

At 09:56 PM 6/23/00 -0700, Martin Howard  wrote:

>E39 is typically found on the rangefinder lenses.  Wouldn't an E39-E55
>adapter simply cover up WAY too much of the viewfinder to be useful?  It's
>not like E39 filters are THAT hard to find...

Unless you like buying online or mail order, this depends on where you
live. 39mm accessories are tough to find in Maine. A 39 > 55 might be
pushing it but a 39 > 49 works pretty well.

I really didn't like the rubber hood that is available for the 40/2
Summicron that came with my CL and I wanted some lens protection as well as
the ability to snap on a cheap lens cap, so I went out and got an old
scratched up Tiffen E39 skylight and a Bower 39 > 49 adapter. I screwed the
glass out of the skylight and screwed the stepup on the front of that
creating an all metal rigid "hood" that doesn't vignette but protects the
glass from stray light and blows. It barely blocks the VF at all on my M5
or CL. I can now also use (if ever called to) 49mm filters which are much
more readily available in my rural local shops than 39mm.

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http:/www.goodphotos.com