Subject: Re: [Leica] Rollei 35 S clone
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:31:11 -0400

At 09:38 AM 6/21/00 -0700, Mark Langer wrote:

>With all the chat about the virtues of the Rollei 35S and SE, I thought
>that I might add a couple more off-topic lines about the Petri Color 35,
>which is in many ways an improved version of the Rollei 35 design.  <snip>
>
>Generally, I'm a big fan of Japanese leaf-shuttered rangefinders or
>compact cameras of the 60s and 70s for their combination of low cost and
>high quality.  <snip> There are a lot of low-budget delights
>among cameras of this sort that make it worth-while seeking them out.

I'm a big fan of them also.

While much larger than a Rollei and more comparable in size to an M, I've
found the Walz Envoy 35 to be one of the best cameras that I've ever owned.
With a 4.8cm 1:1.9 Copal SVL leaf shuttered S Kominar lens and an
excellently bright (if short) rangefinder I've gotten some good shots with
it in some very low light and hand held. The advance stroke has a loud
ratchet sound but it smoother than any Leica that I've ever held. Of the
Walz cameras this is the only one I like for having the finest finish.
Unfortunately it is also the one with the least frills. It does have a
timer and both X and M synch for the synch port which is out of the way on
the left hand side of the body. It is ROCK solid and the glass is as clear
today as it was when manufactured in the 50s. The lens has full EV and DOF
scales as well as the modern speed (to 1/500) and aperture ranges (to f16.)

When I know that I'm shooting actual portraits outside I often take this
camera along for any of the fill flash work.

Which takes me to my second meandering....One of you electronics engineers
should make (or alter) and market an electronic flash that emulates the
intensity fall off timing of a classic flash bulb. With the resurgence of
the older "retro" cameras that have the "M" synch settings but have Focal
Plane shutters, I think that you would have a HUGE niche market. I would
save up a long time to pay a LOT of money for such a tool. Wouldn't it be
nice to be able to use your M 4 or older Leica with fill flash upto 1/500
without having to mess with costly hot bulbs in between each shot?

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com