Subject: [Leica] Rollei 35 S clone
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 9:30:39 EDT

With all the chat about the virtues of the Rollei 35S and SE, I thought
that I might add a couple more off-topic lines about the Petri Color 35,
which is in many ways an improved version of the Rollei 35 design.  The Petri
comes with a 4 element lens that, while not of Sonnar quality, is more or less
equivalent to the Tessar, but is a bit faster at f2.8 max aperture.  Unlike
the Rollei, you can operate the Petri without taking the camera away from
your eye.  Focus is done via a little wheel at the top back of the camera,
and the viewfinder shows a distance scale, as well as crosshairs and the
matchneedle for metering.  Adjustment of the matchneedle is done via aperture
and shutter speed dials that are located on the top right of the camera.
These jut slightly over the edge of the camera so that they can be easily
turned by rubbing your finger or thumb along the edge.  A hot shoe is at the
extreme left of the camera.  I use a tiny Rollei flash that already leans
to the left and this keeps the flash so far away from the lens that redeye
is eliminated.

This is a much cheaper and in many ways ergonomically superior alternative
to the Rollei.  There is a nice description of this camera on Steven
Gandy's CameraQuest site.  For situations where you don't want to lug a
Leica along, this is a nice alternative.

Generally, I'm a big fan of Japanese leaf-shuttered rangefinders or
compact cameras of the 60s and 70s for their combination of low cost and
high quality.  My Konica Auto S3 has a much more convenient flash
arrangement than you'd get with any Leica, and the wide angle lens on this
camera is an incredible performer.  There are a lot of low-budget delights
among cameras of this sort that make it worth-while seeking them out.
When white-water rafting, or as a camera to leave in your car for those
unexpected photo ops, these make a great substitute for your more valuable
equipment.

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca