Subject: Re: [Leica] The camera doesn't lie!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:59:27 -0700

Gib Robinson wrote:
SNIP...........

> In some cases we are likely to be paid to tell one kind of truth and only
> one kind of truth -- as in portrait photos, weddings, corporate PR and the
> like. I've always admired painters who painted royalty and produced images
> that were not altogether flattering -- risking their careers and, perhaps,
> their lives.
>
> Do Nachtwey and Salgado tell the truth? The same truth? The only truth? How
> about Tina and Ted?<<<<<<<<<

Hi Gib,
I can only speak for myself, but mine have always been  "what you see,
is what was there!"  It's a case of being true to ones self and beliefs
as a photojournalist recording whatever the subject is.

To those news photographers or photojournalists who have no truth ethics
towards others, then I suppose lying with their cameras or computer is
OK in their eyes.

In the new book we're working on there will be a disclaimer: "These are
real-time unaltered photographs as originally recorded on film and not
computer manipulated!"  Or words to that effect .

It gets pretty bad when news/sports related pictures that catches ones
eye, a question mark comes up as to whether it's,  "real time? or
computer time?"    :-(

ted

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] The camera doesn't lie!)