Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 1270
From: Meino de Graaf <meino@csc-ip.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:38:04 +0200

Gary Elshaw wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just saw this over at Macintouch http://www.macintouch.com and
> thought it might be of interest.
>
> >Richard Pflumm of the Eastern Image Gallery reports some problems
> >with Epson print permanence [see related Print Permanence report]:
> >

> >"I think your readers may like to know that Epsons lastest
> >Inkjet-1270 may have some serious flaws for professionals. After
> >printing and framing several photos for display at our gallery we
> >have found that Epsons premium glossy photo paper is emitting a
> >vapor which fogs the glass. Contacting Epson so far has produced the
> >standard-"we will look into this" reply. These prints have been
> >allowed to dry for about a week before framing. Also while removing
> >the mats, we discovered severe color fading. These prints were not
> >in direct sunlight and displayed for about 3 weeks!
> >Interestingly we have not noticed these problems with Epson's 1200,
> >that is, the fogging and fading (we have not had a reason to open
> >these prints to check)."

This is a hot topic on the epson mailing list. Some users of the 1270 have this
problem while others absolutly don't see the fading and the color shift. There
is still no consensus over the cause of the problems, although it looks like it
is caused by a combination of factors, a faulty batch of premium glossy paper
(the regular photo and the heavy matte doesn't show this problem) in combination
with exposure to high ozone levels.

Meino