Subject: OT Nazi Drugs WAS:Re: [Leica] Nazi whisky
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:24:05 +0200

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:49:02 -0400
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>

Wasn't he a drug addict?  I seem to remember a story that the opiod
methadone was invented in Nazi Germany as a substitute for morphine, which
was unobtainable due to all the poppy growing areas being under control of
the other side in the war.  I remember reading he took drugs, perhaps not
methadone but amphetamine?

In the same stream of thought I read somewhere else that the United States
has a strategic reserve of either morphine or opium (from which one may
manufacture the former) for war use.  With all the newer completely
synthetic painkillers now I wonder if this is even a necessity?
He was a very heavy amphetamine user.
Tweak tweak!
Rob.

Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow