Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder and film mis-advance/loading....
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:30:00 -0700

Austin Franklin wrote:

> Has anyone ever found that the film load has not loaded properly with the
> Rapidwinder?  I know it is claimed that the 'basket' isn't necessary, but I
> never had a mis-loaded roll in hundreds of rolls without the Rapidwinder.

<snip>
> I'm going to take the 'basket' off the original bottom, and put it on the
> Rapidwinder.  This is the first roll of film in over 25 years of
> photography that I have ever had an advancing/loading problem with.  I
> think to claim you don't need the basket is possibly bad advice, at least
> for me it was.

The 'basket' is part of the system. It ensures that the film stays in
the film rails and doesn't slip off the 'take up spool' In essence it is
the bottom of the "take up spool"

While it might not be necessary for some people it is still part of the
system and I would say to go without is to do so at your peril.

Dennis