Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in a Messerschmitt
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:49:52 +1000

Kurt Miska wrote:

> LUGers
> With my more than passing interest in World War Two combat airplanes, I
> surprised myself when leafing through “Messerschmitt Bf 109, in Action”,
> part 2.  I spotted what is clearly a Leica installed in a Bf 109 (page
> 24). You can see the cable release hanging down and the classic film
> advance knob. The squinty little eye piece is also visible. The Leica is
> mounted vertically so that it points straight out of the front of the
> windshield. Nothing automated here. No motor drive. This particular
> machine served as a reconnaissance aircraft in southern Russia in ‘43.
> If you desperately need this book, check your local hobby shop. I think
> it’s still in print.
> Kurt

Hi all,

I watched a program here on the telly last Wednesday.  About an Aussie
called Sydney Cotton who was using a brace of Leicas to take aerial
shots of Germany in the late thirties, from a twin engined Lockheed.  He
was a colour film agent and flew all over the place, shooting as he
went, on behalf of MI6.  The german authorities suspected he was taking
photos as he flew, but couldn't find the Leica 250's he had hidden
behind sliding panels in the belly of the aircraft.

A fascinating program.

regards

Rick Dykstra

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica in a Messerschmitt)