Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #181
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:49:21 -0400

Richard Clompus wrote:

> I am planning a two week trip with my family to southern Bavaria (Germany)
> in August.  .....  When ever I travel, I always pack
> too much Leica gear.  My bag is always too heavy and I end up using only 1-2
> lenses anyway.
>
> If you could take only 1-2 lenses from an R or M system, what would you
> take?  It may sound silly to many but I'm getting tired of carrying a 15
> pound camera bag.

Richard, I'm planning a similar trip in September with my wife.  I have been in the Bavarian, Swiss, Austrian and Italian Alps many times although not for years.   I'm older than you so
weight is a factor for me as well.  I would leave the R system home. There is no doubt that it is not a system for travel. The R bodies and lenses are simply too bulky and heavy.  I would
take two (2) M6 bodies for two different film emulsions (I like to load print and slide film or b&w and slide film).  I think the choice of lenses is personal but I could never leave the
50mm/2 home.  I would take the 28mm,  35mm/2,  the 50mm/2 and the 90mm Tele-Elmarit.  That is a reasonably light traveling package without the bulk and back breaking weight of the R system
bodies and lenses.  To reduce the above to three lenses, I would leave the 35mm/2 home. A two lens outfit for me would be the 28/2.8 and the 90/2.8  Needless to say, bring a good point and
shoot like the Olympic Epic Stylus Zoom that slips into any pocket, has built in flash and is ready for a catch and grab photo at a moment's notice.

Paul Collura