Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #174
From: Guy Washburn/Laura Reiner <rgw@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 07:14:09 -0400

Hi Neil,

Without seeing the prints it is hard to tell, but what you are seeing as
a tone difference is likely to actually be a color cast.

The best way I have found to control this with my Epson 1200 (admittedly
a different animal but I think the essence should hold) is to convert
the file to RGB before printing and to use a curves adjustment to bring
it to a truly neutral gray color. The best way to choose the right curve
is to make a posterized 20 step gradient to act as your standard. Print
this out and then analyze where the color shifts are. Use the info
pallet to identify what rgb values need adjustment and then make that
change in the correct color channel. Save the adjustment, apply it and
print again (you must print on the actual paper you will use for your
final prints but it is a good idea to cut the page into halves or
quarters to get several tests per page). Continue to iterate until you
have a curve which brings the grayscale to neutral. You can then use
this on your actual images to make then neutral too.

Hope this is clear. Contact me off list for any further details.

Guy

>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:24:18 +0100
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and White Ink Jet Photos

>I have also just (5 prints so far) moved to digital darkroom
>(Sprintscan4000. Epson 1270), and am so far reasonably happy with the
>results.

>The move was forced upon me by oversubscription of the Gallery's
darkroom;
>I couldn't get to book a slot for the current week sometimes, and three

>people working together in the same darkroom....

>I'm only doing monochrome and was a bit dubious about B&W using
coloured
>inks. The sharpness is fine and there is no obvoius colour cast, though
the
>tone is different. I did a super A3 on heavy weight matte of a HP5 in
Xtol