Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica CL / CLE vs. Bessa-R
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:09:33 -0400

Does the CL have the Leica "feel?"  Yes and no.  In terms of materials, fit,
and finish, yes.  In that sense, Leicas feel like Leicas, whether made in
Germany, Canada, Portugal, Japan, or wherever.  But in terms of structural
weight and solidity, no, it does not feel or operate like an "M" camera,
because it was not designed or intended to match the "M" in that way,
(although it is still very fine, and things like the shutter and, on its two
"C" lenses, the aperture and focusing rings are---to use Tina's
word---Leically smooth).  Rather it was intended to be small, light,
convenient, and eminently portable, and you can't have your cake and eat it
too.

Some people have reported problems, but some have reported problems with the
M6 and R8 as well.  Mine worked fine.  Yet you should expect servicing with
any camera pushing thirty years.

As I've opined before---and that's all this is, just my opinion---the CL for
its purposes is a wonderful little gem of a camera!

Art Peterson