Subject: Re: [Leica] Doing it manually, using the gray matter computer.
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:02:11 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:
> If you look back at all of the "master" photographers (those who did their
> own darkroom work) you'll find that the majority of them used the manual
> system. Perhaps all of them. Test strips, dodging & burning, and bleaching.
> Visually looking at printed results. First wet, then dry.
> I've read Phil Davis' BTZS and CTein's stuff. It is very impressive but all
> those plots. .......

Hi Jim,

     Right.  Even when I printed professionally, I never used those print
meters, though I do now have an old Weston Photographic Analyzer, really
only a black and white transmission densitometer, although it does have
a removable head which can be used as a simple easel analyzer.  I've
not used it like that.

     Tests show you what's happening AT THE MOMENT in the darkroom and
take into account variations is dilution, temperature and batch of
paper.  So many variables, that without the time honored and proven
test method, it's very difficult.  And you're looking at numbers,
not a RESULT.

					Cheers,

							Rich Lahrson
							tripspud@wenet.net