Subject: Re: [Leica] Positive vs. Negative
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:49:30 -0700

><Snip>
As far as the trend for photographers in general specifically perhaps ones with
established ways of working:
Part of it is class warfare!!!
Color neg has no class! You don't shoot catalogs and magazine work with color
neg.
Color neg is for low level stupid low life portrait and promo work. Events and weddings.
The OTHER section of the yellow pages in the phone book. (Portrait)
Commercial photographers feel it gives them a bad image. Makes them look bad!
Some commercial photographers I know don't even like a print from their
transparencies they only show the transparencies themselves.
But not always ORIGINAL transparencies.
One I have in mine has a few BLACK AND WHITE PRINTS made into larger
transparencies so they can be shown on the same boards as the rest of his
"book." And many of his cards are larger transparencies of his tear sheets; shot
out of magazines with the layout.
At one point I heard photographers in New York had a "Tray"
Art Directors would say "Bring over your Tray." An Kodak Ektagraphic tray they'd
project on the projector they always had their.
The photographers book WAS their round "tray" of slides. You'd see them on the subways.
But I think now that Photoshop is always the intermediate step things are changing.
All the punch that needs to be put in can be and is as part of the process with Photoshop.
And color negs are much easier to scan than transparencies if the scanners are
not real high end.
So I think even the die hards will eventually give in and give color neg anther shot.
Art directors will be asking for it so they will be forced to. It's a lot easier
to shoot you don't have to bracket and worry about an incredibly restricted
tonal range a slide has.
Mark Rabiner
I'm positive about Negatives!

Message from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)