Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:10:29 -0700

Ken Iisaka wrote:

> It still doesn't replace Delta 3200 _AND_ Noctilux.  While I cannot
> claim any greatness that describes many photographers on this list, one
> of my humble works,

> is a result of a Noctilux AND Delta 3200.  Without both, the photograph
> would have been impossible.  The moment only lasted just a few seconds,
> and I could only take one frame. It was not posed, or even planned.
> It's but a snapshot.<<<<<<<<<<<

Ken my man,          >>>> > http://www.iisaka.org/Sara/Triage5.html<<<<<<<<

That's exactly what using a Noctilux is all about in non light!  Very
nice simple..... memorable moments.  And a combination of ASA 3200  film
and a  Noctilux expands the realm of photography to impossible heights.
Be that snapshot or not.

I would venture to say what isn't understood about the Noctilux is, it
doesn't necessarily make great photographs!  On occasion because of it,
yes.  But what it's greatest asset is, it makes it possible to take
pictures, be they snapshots or not,  when it is a seemingly impossible
light situation.

3200 isn't a cheap Noctilux as someone posted.   Simply because one does
attempt to use slower speed films while working with the highest
possible shutter speed and the widest possible aperture to attain their
photographs.    However, on the occasion when  we use 3200 and a
Noctilux, it's like having no light barrier in taking pictures.

What seems to be missed by some is,  just because we use a Noctilux
doesn't mean every image is going to be a magnificent award winning
photograph, never happen!  What they are missing is we have a tool
allowing us to shoot without question,  where others fear to go without
flash because they don't have an aperture of f1.0, if it is required.
Not that we use it every frame!

But we have that advantage at our finger tips, if it is required to
shoot moments of life in it's natural state and that's what makes the
lens important to own and use.  As I've said on many occasion, "Do not
buy a Noctilux unless you are a keen available light photographer, as
you'll waste your money constantly using it stopped down to f8 and being there!

I don't know that this answers or defends the use of a Noctilux. I've
had mine for a great number of years, used it under some very deplorable
light situations, pressed my luck with it and blown images by having no
fear..."the Noctilux is here!"

But without question, " I wouldn't want to be without it at anytime!"

ted

Message from "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org> (Re: [Leica] Re: it DOESN'T work well for leica!)