Subject: Re: [Leica] 90/2.8
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:56:02 -0700

Guy

>>oddly enough, while i frequently shoot in low light i never really miss
the
extra stop(s) of the summicron 90 and the 75. with the 35 and 50
summicrons, f/2 has generally been fast enough for me. (but i'll bet if i
used them for any length of time, i wouldn't want to live without them
afterward!)<<

I know what you mean. I really like the latest 90/2.8.  Size isn't that
important, except for those times when I'm trying to cram as much as I can
into a very small vest pocket or pack. But again, I've never bought a lens
based on size alone. The latest 90 Elmarit feels much smoother,
mechanically, than my thin 90 TE. That's another thing that sold me.

I'm recovering from a bad experience this morning. I rode my bike into
work, as I often do. I stopped at the gym to shower before work. I came out
and saw a guy on the street with a bike that looked just like mine. "Can't
be," I thought. "My bike is locked up a block away." I quickly realized
that it was my bike. I ran out and grabbed the back of the bike. The guy
had stopped to light a cigarette. He probably thought he was home free. I
saw my lock in his hand. He'd cut through it. He calmly walked away. I was
in shock. It's like my mind was blank. I still hadn't recovered from my
ride in (12.5 miles in 32 minutes).  I just stood there thinking, "this
isn't real".  Two other guys that  walked out of the gym with me suddenly
realized what had happened. They chased after the thief.  He ducked into an
alley and disappeared.

I'm just glad that I didn't lose my bike. It would have been worse than
losing  my M6. I need to get a bigger lock, but I'm not sure they make one.
It's lucky I was in a hurry. (I was in the gym less than 10 minutes).  I'm
a little less trusting of mankind. It's sort of  a let down.

Dave

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] 90/2.8)