Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw Ups 'r Us.
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:48:59 -0700

Rick,

>>Tell us about your biggest, worst, most enlightening, whatever,
photographic screw up.<<

I once shot a wedding where several dozen white doves were released just
after the vows. I saved half a roll on one of the bodies I was using. I
planned to hold down the release in continuous mode and shoot the remaining
frames.

The ceremony was outdoors and the lighting was perfect. Just as the doves
were released I grabbed the right camera body and I fired away. The doves
lifted into the air perfectly and I knew that I had the opportunity to take
a magnificent  photograph. The shutter fired, and fired, and fired...and
fired...........and fired. As the doves disappeared into the distance, it
dawned on me that I had buried the frame counter. Just how long was that
roll of film?

In panic I popped open the back plate. As the plate flew open I recall
thinking that I just exposed the entire roll to daylight. Before I could
snap it shut, and save some of the frames, I saw the film leader not quite
engaged in the take up spool. It was only the second time in 25-years of
photography that I misloading a roll of film at a critical time. (The first
time was on an M3, but that's another story). The entire roll was
unexposed.

The story has a happy ending. The clients loved the proofs I gave them.
They never asked about any dove shots and I didn't bring up the subject.
Out of habit now I always, ALWAYS double check to make certain film is
loaded properly. Partly because of that experience, and partly because I
once owned an M4 that only engaged properly about half the time (Still can
figure that one out. I sold it long ago).

Dave