Subject: [Leica] Re: Bags
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:51:47 -0700

Doug,

>>I keep 2, maybe 3 lenses in a home-made fanny pack.<<

I prefer a fanny pack to a larger shoulder bag. As luck would have it, I
came across the perfect fanny pack at a leather outlet some time ago. I'm
afraid of the day this bag should wear out, because I've never seen one
like it. I plan to disassemble it and create a duplicate.

While  on the subject of accessories, how about straps? I've yet to find
the perfect strap. I wrist straps to shoulder straps. I've been
experimenting with various wrist straps, using mountaineering textiles from
REI and sewing my own. I want a strap without snaps or buckles which can
come apart at precisely the wrong time.

I once had a commercial shoulder stap come apart. I caught the end of the
strap with my pinky as my M3 was an inch from the concrete). I know what I
want. I've just never been able to find it in a store (or on the Web).
Making things is a lot of work, but often worth it in the end. (Luckily my
wife has an industrial sewing machine).

IMHO, most handmade packs I've seen are not overpriced (Fogg, etc). At
least not anymore than the less expensive mass produced bags. Hand-made
bags tend to last. Labor is expensive, so may as well use the best
materials as well. I like things that last. There's nothing worse than
having a favorite old bag wear out, only to find it's no longer made and
there is no suitable replacement.

Dave

Replies: Reply from "AWSteg" <upstream1@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bags)
Reply from Jeff S <4season@boulder.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bags)