Subject: Re: [Leica] soft focus?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:32:45 -0700

It's funny! I have the 90 Summicron which I am selling since it is TOO sharp
for the portraits I do.... I settled on a 'skinny Elmar' circa 1933! I found
that portraits seemed to be a lot better at about f4, and the uncoated Elmar
does what I want it to do. Of course, I am 53 and favor  mature ladies, but
even children look good with the softer lens.
It is interesting also, from what I read, that Leitz made the 90 Elmar, not
as a portrait lens, but rather to help the photographer to compse his shot
better- even if unable to get closer.
As an aside- I recently did some portraits of a two year old boy. What an
education! Perpetual Motion! I ended up getting the best shots with a 50,
just to keep him in frame! I was reminded of the analogy of a difficult
task- "Like nailing Jell-o to a tree....". Well, doing a portrait of a two
year old should rank a couple of notches higher on the difficulty scale!!
Dan ( I used to be fast... now, I am just half fast.) Post