Subject: Re: [Leica] Light Leak in G2 & M3
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:32:25 +0100

D Khong wrote:

> ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
> >I had similar light leaks in my M3 back in 1973. It was the shutter; ruined
> >several fine pictures. Arthur
> >

> One potential cause of light leak on an M3 is a missing plug which covers a
> small hole behind the lens flange. I understand that this hole is to
> facilitate some types of adjustment. Light leaks occur during lens changes
> when the hole is exposed.
>
> Dan K.

I had a very early M3, sn 701243, it developed a light leak because the
shutter curtain, in aging, acquired a slight curl away from the film plane.
The Leitz recommended repair was to retro fit some light baffles around the
film aperture and replace the first curtain( I think it was the first
curtain). I had quite a mis-adventure getting this work done, but that is
another story.
John Shick