Subject: [Leica] FS or TRADE: Contax Aria with Lenses (long)
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:23:01 -0400 (EDT)

(apologies for this lengthy post)

Sadly, I find that I've had to decide between my two 35mm systems:  it's
simply too expensive to buy both Leica M and Contax SLR (given my
insatiable lust for glass).  Since most of my work is street shooting
these days, its the SLR that has to go.  Hence, I'm offering the following
kit for sale or trade (including a couple of lenses I've discussed at
length on the LUG recently).  NOTE:  I would much prefer to trade for
Leica equipment, either M or LTM, than to receive cash.

Contax Aria, mint (I would say new condition, were it not for some very,
very minor scuffs on the base, and a little bit of paint missing from the
edges of the shoe -- what happens if you mount a flash more than once.  I
tend to rate things conservatively)

Zeiss 35-70/3.4 MM, new condition (has only been used a handful of times,
and has always had a protective filter.  I recently read through the
Italian MTF test on the Web, btw, and yes -- for what it's worth -- this
zoom outperforms or holds its own with the Zeiss primes at every focal
length)

UV filter, #1 hood and stepup ring for the above lens, Mint-/Ex++

28/2.8 Distagon AE, Ex++ (mechanics are perfect; some paint missing from
bayonet, which is normal, a couple of dust specs in lens, also normal --
this remains the sharpest 28mm I've ever shot with, and I have a Ricoh GR1
and a Fuji GA645Wi to compare)

Contax rubber hood for the above

Tamron SP 90, Ex (mechanics are perfect, cosmetics mint-, with one slight
ding on the front of the barrel.  The only reason I list this lens as
"Ex", is that the optics are not entirely pristine if examined with a
flashlight.  Could probably use a professional cleaning down the road.  I
wouldn't bother now:  this lens is as sharp as my Zeiss lenses, with
pretty much the same contrast, if a slightly different color balance.
The bokeh is arguably superior.  This is the first version of this famous
lens; it takes a 49mm filter -- I'll supply a Heliopan -- and it's built
like a canon.  I personally think that this is the best of the SP 90's,
even though the autofocus version is marginally sharper at infinity:
this one throws a nicer image, especially in black and white work, and the
quality of construction is unbelievable.)

Tamron SP 2x converter for the above, mint with case.  (This flat-field
converter -- optimized for the SP 90 -- provides a 180mm lens with no
perceptible loss of sharpness or contrast.  I haven't tested it with the
Zeiss lenses.)

No reasonable offer refused.  I would prefer to sell or trade it as a
package, although I'll consider breaking it up.

Again, what I really want is Leica rangefinder stuff in trade:  good
lenses (meaning full of character; I don't care how they test) -- and good
user bodies.  Cosmetics matter to me not at all; I just care that the
equipment be optically and mechanically pristine.  (Canon and Nikon LTM
lenses would be nice, too.)

I would also be interested in trading for medium/large format equipment.
Portable is important:  a Canham, for instance, would thrill me.  (In
fact, I'll consider any interesting object in barter, even
non-photographic, as I'm a congenital horse trader.)

Please contact me off-list:

Douglas Cooper
visigoth@echonyc.com

212-727-8278 (Manhattan)

PS:  None of my reviews of this equipment on the LUG were disingenuous
attempt to hype it in preparation for sale.  The decision to go pure Leica
is very recent.

What I'm trying to say:  I'm an honest guy, unlike, say, the lawyer
shilling for his fake Diebenkorn on ebay...

cheers,

DC, newfound Leica purist <extending hand to initiate
secret handshake>