Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Olympus OM and Leica R lens
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2000 05:05:30 -0700

On Fri, 09 June 2000, Tran Van Minh wrote:

> I was told that we can use Leica R lens on OM bodies without modification
> of anything: just remove the Leica mount on the lens and replace it with
> Olympus OM mount (even the screw holes are identical) (?). Of course we
> have to take pictures totally manually. Has anyone tried this?
>
> Minh

Minh,

Even if the screw holes are identical and the flange-to-film distance is comparable I think this would work only with lenses that are totally manual anyway, like a Perspective Control lens or a Televit.  I've heard of this being done with the 400 f/6.8 Telyt but I don't recall that the screw holes were identical, and with this lens there's no distance scale so exaclt flange-to-film distance isn't a big deal.

One problem doing this with auto-aperture lenses is that the click-stops for the aperture are in the back side of the R mount.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!