Subject: Re: [Leica] soft focus?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:02:52 -0700

HotRodVon@aol.com wrote:

> I love my M6...Until recently!   I bought a new 90 2.8 Elmarit...and no
> matter what, I can't seem to get any sharp results.  This is really a
> pisser...being that my 50 mm and my 24mm are as sharp as can be,  I always
> get outstanding results from those lenes.  I thought that maybe I was having
> a tough time focusing the 90mm at long distance shots...but I just shot two
> more rolls and I did portrait type distance shots, and lo and
> behold...they're all soft on the focus.  Does anybody have a clue why this is
> happening?   My wife says I spend to much money on "those damn little lenes"
> and now this (the soft focus) is just fueling her fire....Help!?!

A short tele is MUCH more difficult to use than a normal or wide.
Your rule of thumb hand holdable shutter speed is a 90th of a second.
And if you are not stopping down a bunch you have much more limited depth of
field than with wider lenses.
A tele lens needs lots of light or flash. You cant just causally use it indoors
or low light like wider lenses and think you can easily get by.
Also try focusing at infinity and make sure it lines up or you'd need to have it
adjusted or do it yourself.
Mark Rabiner