Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Heiland Splitgrade
From: "Robert Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:05:24 -0500

Greetings Richard,
Just an observation based upon my travels along the learning curve of B&W
printing.  Early on I relied upon my Leica Focometer's measurement of film
density range and my paper grade tests to match the neg with the "right"
paper grade.  This usually provided a useful work print.  I understand you
intend to use the Heiland for a similar purpose.  The observation is that my
printing began to improve significantly only once I abandoned this approach.
Not because I didn't get a good start, but because it was hard to visualize
any alternative approaches to the print once the technical measuring process
spoke its version of the truth.  Now I start by looking at the negative on a
light box and in the enlarger and make a judgement as to the paper grade and
exposure that will yield the emotional feel that I think I will ultimately
want.  I find I get to the end of the creative process with much more
satisfying results and more quickly  then when relying on a measuring
system, such mine with the Focomat or the Heiland, telling me where to go
with the print.  You may have the discipline to avoid this trap, but I found
it quite seductive and it inhibited my growth in fine art printing for a few
years.  All the best, Bob.

Replies: Reply from "Ting Lee" <tinglee@exceltrade.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Heiland Splitgrade)