Subject: [Leica] re: Techniques Please?
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:58:47 PDT

In terms of consistency, I've had some of the worst results from commercial
labs. Sometimes their attitude about chemistry is that replacing it on a
regular basis costs money, so it's a good place to cut costs. One lab I used
(supposedly the best lab in Chicago!) to send film to went on about a two
month cycle--I could watch the film get worse and worse, then suddenly
everything would be fine again, for about three weeks. That's what finally
caused me to do the film myself--since I was doing the printing, and the
negs from the lab were all over the map (exactly the same subjects, with a
permanent lighting setup, by the way) I was spending about 3X the time in
the darkroom with the labs negs than with mine!!
  --Michael