Subject: [Leica] Re: Book list
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:58:56 +0100

All of my nominations are from a more elegant age, before the arrival
of Library of Congress numbers and ISBNs on the pages of of books...

Equipment book - the first edition of Willard D Morgan & Henry M
Lester’s "Leica Manual", Morgan & Lester, New York, 1935
(For me, this book captures the excitement of the days when the Leica
was still relatively new. I wonder if Barnack saw a copy before he
died.)

Photo book - any 1950s edition of Willard D Morgan & Henry M Lester’s
"Leica Manual", Morgan & Lester, New York.
(Although these are not 'photo books' per se, the photos which
illustrate them are pleasing to my eye, and remind me how little I
have learned in 40 years as a photographer about the art of picture
making.)

Non-photo photo book - J Lipinski's  "Miniature & Precision Cameras",
Illife & Sons, London, 1955
(A fascinating glimpse of the golden age of the classic camera. They
don’t write many books like this any more - a well-written text
densely packed with technical information, which makes no attempt to
be 'popular' or to talk down to the reader. It was published for the
British magazine 'Amateur Photographer', a magazine whose current
written style suffers badly from both faults.)

Regards,

Doug Richardson