Subject: Re: [Leica] Project Jerusalem, or the f/1.4 school of landscape
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 21:47:21 -0600

004.jpg of the Highgate Wood collection looks like a winner to me and I
think it'd look great as a print if you can maintain that green/blue
look and have sufficiently bright lighting. Interesting cool dark look
on those tree trunk closeups in general, quite unlike anything I've
photographed in Colorado or Hawaii. the shots of the overhead canopy of
leaves is less successful I think--I've been struggling with very
similar compositions for years and none seem to adquately convey the
sense of luminosity that I get in person but I think that if you can get
someone to hold a big black cloth in the background while letting
sunlight stream in from the side that might do the trick!

I'm not singling out your site for particular criticism when I say this
but lately either my eyes are going bad or typfaces on websites are
going really small--the webmaster link on the bottom of the pages is
just about 1.5mm high on my monitor, and blue-on-black looks great but
is murder to read. I have a late-model 19" Sony set to somewhere around
1200 x 1000 I think (it's been awhile since I did the setup). I am using
whatever version of XFree86 (3.3.1-something) that shipped with Red Hat
6.1 along with a newish Enlightenment window manager. Monitor color
temperature is set to 5000K. Yeah I could set the monitor for lower res
but some sites really do seem to need all the real estate they can get.

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> Well, you tell me how you keep viewers on mac, windows 98, windows 2000,
> with or without colorsync, happy? Gammas varying between 1.8 and 2.2... with
> low-key images there is simply no way to keep everyone happy. Many of the
> images are delibarately very low key but not meant to be 'impossibly' so...
> check your platform-dependent solipsism at the door and crank up the
> brightness, if you're that concerned.

- --

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado