Subject: Re: [Leica] Using f 4 35-70, f 4 80-200 zooms
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 07:37:23 -0700

Bud Cook wrote:

> Does anyone have an opinion about the older German-made f/3.5 35-70 vs. the
> current f/4.0.   Since the newer zoom came out, the older one has dropped
> significantly in price (and I believe you can get it w/three cams).<<<<<<<<

Hi Bud,

I have the German manf. 35-70 3.5 and have used it as the main shooting
lens on many occasions simply because I'm always surprised how sharp and
nicely contrasted results it produces.  it handles well and is light. At
3.5 one doesn't use it indoors as one might a 2.8 but it's brightness is
fine for working outdoors.

I don't imagine it produces the edge cutting look of the 2.8 35-70.
However I have screened
70-180 slides one right after the other during a presentation and they
both screen very well.   So how would it compare to the 35-70 2,8?  I'll
let you know after I win the lottery!  ;-)

I'd suggest if you find a 35-70 3,5 for a good price and in good working
order I'd buy it and make an effort at using it as one can only find out
from their own technique how well they like a lens look and handling.

It's no big deal, as you can always sell it if you don't like it! But I
bet if you get one you'll not  part with it.  But be warned .... it
doesn't focus as close as the f.4.0 and at times, although a minor
issue, I've found it a negative point of the lens.
regards,
ted

Replies: Reply from "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Using f 4 35-70, f 4 80-200 zooms)
Message from "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Using f 4 35-70, f 4 80-200 zooms)