Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:54:02 -0500

I used all the Nikon F's from the Ft through the F2.  Then I happened to get
a look through the viewfinder of a new SL/2.   I never took another frame
with a Nikon F after that.  I bought the SL/2, packed up the Nikon gear and
sent it home, bought some R lenses and have been happy as can be about my
decision ever since.

I've since added an SL.

I recommend that you take a peek though the viewfinder of an SL or SL/2 with
a clean viewfinder.   Check out the bright, grainless, distortionless
viewfinder that allows you to focus right into the corners of the screen.
Check out the accurate, match needle spot metering.   Check out the crank
arm mechanism that slows the mirror down before it finishes it's movement.
Check out the smooth shutter release and finally hammer a few nails with the
thing to verify that it really is built like a tank.

I read somewhere that entry level SLR's have a shutter good for about 10,000
cycles, that pro SLR's with electronic shutters are good for about 150K
cycles and Leica with their big, mechanical shutters can do more than 400K.
I suspect the SL and SL/2 can also soldier on for ever.

Bud