Subject: [Leica] Overseas Leica's
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:41:18 +0000

Hello all

(My third and final post for today)

I'm SURE this has been brought up before (so excuse a newbie), but has
anyone from N. America purchased Leica equipment from dealers in Germany.
I'm planning a trip to Europe next spring, and would love the opportunity to
pick up some used Leica equipment.

In Canada, Leica equipment is *very* expensive, and only one local dealer
carries new and used Leica equipment. There are other places to find used
equipment (i.e. pawn shops) but you'd be taking your chances. For instance,
a new M6 will set you back $3500 CDN and then add 15% for taxes.
Availability is another issue, this particular shop **MAY** have a M4, one
or two new M6's and the occasional M2 or CL. I haven't seen a M3 for about 2
years. LTM bodies seem to be even rarer lately. I often flip through
SHUTTERBUG and almost cry whenever I see a a S/S M3 or a M2 for 800-900 US.
Or a whole page of LTM bodies advertised starting around $300US.

E-Bay isn't an option for me. Too risky I think.

I've bought equipment through US dealers before, but lately, I always seem
to get nailed for duties and other charges. A good deal suddenly turns sour
when Customs and Excise Canada nail you for a few hundred dollars in duty.
Plus you lack the opportunity to examine the item personally.

I visit Japan 4 or more times a year and that's where I first got turned
onto vintage Nikon equipment. (It's not necessarily cheaper, but where else
can you find a wall of S, S2, S3 and S4's or your choice of a half-dozen
near mint 21mmf4's with finders, caps and cases ?) Forget Leica in Japan,
though, unless you're looking for something exotic like those LTM Asph.
Leica is rumoured to be making for the Japanese market.

Anyone on the list ever made a special pilgrimage to Fatherland to pick up
some Leica equipment ? I'd be interested in hearing your stories.

Regards

William

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Overseas Leica's)
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Overseas Leica's)