Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: A dog named "Leica"
From: "Thomas L. Weatherly" <a000170@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 18:12:33 -0700

Laika, a Russian dog found on the streets of Moscow, was the first living
creature to die in space after being sent into orbit in Sputnik 2.  She
apparently died of hyperthermia when the capsule's heat shield came off as
the vehicle settled into orbit.  The Russians have recently commerated her
(involuntary) sacrafice.

Tom Weatherly
Altadena, California