Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Alternative Formats to 24X36mm
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:22:19 +0100

2000-06-01-23:51:03 Martin Howard:
> I find the new Mamiya MF rangefinders and intriguing concept.  How easy it
> is to switch between the Leica and the Mamiya 6/7?

I find that I probably don't use my Mamiya 7 nearly enough to justify
what I paid for it.  Which is not to say that it isn't a great camera
- -- it is -- but due to a combination of

 (1) spending a great deal of time in situations with far too little
     light to get away with using the Mamiya (although 120 D3200 is an
     interesting phenomenon)

 (2) just not taking pictures as well with the Mamiya, probably
     because

     (2.1) I'm not as used to using it, because

           (2.1.1) I'm not as good with it, because

                   (2.1.1.1) I'm not as used to using it, because...

Well, you get the idea.  That, and my favorite
unusually-high-quality-snapshot-print lab won't do the
high-quality-but-cheap runs of prints from 120, and I spend a lot of
time taking snaps of people and bribing them with them to let me keep
doing it.

I think that if they had, say, a 65mm or 80mm lens even as fast as
f/2.0 (darned speedy in MF, but slow to a spoiled Leica shooter) the
Mamiya would collect much less dust.

But I *will* get good with it.  I will.  Really.

Message from Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu> (Re: [Leica] OT: Alternative Formats to 24X36mm)