Subject: [Leica] Tienamin Square Photo
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:59:54 -0500

Dan,

I believe the photo you are referring to was made by Stuart Franklin of
Magnum.  Won 3rd place in POY 1989 Spot News category.  There is a B&W shot
of it (the original was in color) on page 98 of THE BEST OF PHOTOJOURNALISM
XV   (Running Press ISBN 0-89471-874-6) the book published by the University
of Missouri each year after the competition.  You local college may have a
copy in their library, esp if they have a photo sequence.

once upon a time Dan Post wrote:

> One of the most striking images in my lifetime, albeit a TV image, was the
> young man standing in front of the tanks in Tienamin Square. I am sure that
> this image will be interpreted many ways in the future ("The defendant is
> shown in this exhibit committing a terrorist act against the People, and the
> People's Army....) but it was thanks to some PJ that we do have it.

- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net

Replies: Reply from Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Tienamin Square Photo)