Subject: [Leica] Noctilux and natural light......Not always!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:12:01 -0700

Harrison Mcclary wrote:

> Well.....sometimes one HAS to use flash. <<<<<<<<<<

Right on Harrison! :-) You're absolutely right and I know Tina will
agree with both of us, as there are simply some situations that require
flash,  your shoot under really weird lighting conditions as an example.

One would have to be living super dangerously in the situation you
described and not do controlled flash shooting.  If it were me doing the
shoot, I'd throw in a few "natural light things" only to show what it
looked like real time.  But that would only be to satisfy the "visually
challenged" editor sitting in New York or wherever.  :-)

Folks, those of you who have never had contact with these "aliens"
(photo editors)   want to avoid them like the black plague! :-)

I'd have shot as you did,   strobe or hot lights, in consideration of
your description of the light and it being a commercial assignment.
Folks that means he was being paid and not out happy snapping! :-)

It seems we who prefer natural light that motivates our vision,  appear
as though we never use flash.  That isn't the truth!  As there are times
when the obvious point of " common sense"  dictates that we use the
tools af our trade to do the job right.  That is to do it right to earn
our bread and butter,  we'll use flash or candle light to pay the bills! :-)

Harrison,  I suppose if you knew the existing light would satisfy the
client by shooting available  light,  it's more than likely the the way
you'd go.   But what sorts out the pro from the not so pro,  is
recognizing the limits of shooting "existing available light"  and when
it works and when one must  strobe it !

I suppose it comes down to experience, that which determines when one
goes natural light or all strobe.  Or combination of both!

Not sure the above makes any sense.  What it boils down to is  ... "if I
had a shoot and the available light was the pits and wouldn't work
.....    I'd strobe the hell out of it to satisfy the guy paying the
bill."    See?  Common sense prevails and money in the bank dictates the
situation! :-)

It isn't all Leica and lenses that drive us to take pictures and satisfy
our clients!   Our bank managers can be mean assed mothers sometimes! :-)

ted

About 2 years ago I was hired