Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:21:43 -0700

b&w scanning luggers:

i frequently scan b&w photos (even half-tones) for print, and use a simple
method. i should add that i never scan slides or negs, just prints and
half-tones that will go on to be printed in books and magazines. here's
what i do:

- - scan the image using 'desk scan,' the software that came bundled with my
old hp scanjet iicx, true dinosaurs by today's standards, but they work
great.
- - import the image into photoshop, where i:
- - tighten the crop, if necessary
- - balance the levels
- - apply the unsharp mask

and that's that. scans come out not muddy, sharp and unaffected looking.
they look f****** good in print.

what ho!

guy

Message from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W)