Subject: RE: [Leica] Suggestion for Second body
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:49:05 -0700

John,

The problem I've experienced with the (classic) M6 meter is that when you
shove it into a vertical compartment in a camera bag (which is generally how
I carry it) with the meter on, you inevitably wind up with a dead
battery---the shutter release ends up leaning against the side of the
compartment, and the constant pressure on it prevents the metering circuit
from shutting down. The only safeguard against this is to set the shutter
speed to B, or store it with the shutter uncocked. Neither is very
convenient, as the camera is not ready to go when you pull it out of the
bag. Setting the "off" switch beyond B in the TTL doesn't strike me as much
of an improvement---as you say, sticking it next to the highest shutter
speed would make more sense. Why they couldn't hook it up to the film
advance lever is beyond me, they managed to pull it off with the CL.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.