Subject: Re: [Leica] Macro and zoom
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 27 May 2000 09:19:48 -0700

On Sat, 27 May 2000, "Gib Robinson" wrote:

> I almost always carry my f/4 80-200. Is there a way to use it effectively as
> a macro lens?
>
> 1) Since the filter size is the same as the 100mm 2.8, can I use the Elpro
> made for that lens on the zoom? Seems mechanically feasible. What about
> image quality?
>
> 2) Has anyone had experience using a Macro-R adapter with this lens? I
> assume since there is no APO glass in the 80-200 it will work OK with
> extension rings. (It's my understanding that APO glass doesn't work as well
> with extension).
>
> 3) Has anyone used this zoom with a 2X extender plus Elpro or extension?
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts, comments, experiences.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gib

Gib,

The issue with extension tubes and Leica APO lenses is more one of internal focus, not APO.  An internal focus lens can be optimized for whatever distance it's focussed on but once you add an extension tube it's no longer optimized for the actual subject-to-lens distance.

A zoom lens can use an extension tube.  It becomes a variable-focal length lens, i.e., you will have to re-focus any time you zoom, and not by a small amount.  Image quality depends entirely on the particular lens design, but odds are  the image quality will suffer greatly, particularly off-axis.

IMHO an elpro-like supplementary lens is the best bet for a zoom.  Don't know if the 100's elpro is suitable but next time we meet let's try "mine" (really Gary Hanlon's) on you zoom.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!