Subject: Re: [Leica] Portrait Lens: 90mm or 135mm?
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 26 May 2000 18:26:47 -0700

On Fri, 26 May 2000, AppleMac97@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Everybody!
>
> After 20 years of using SLRs (Pentax, Nikon and Canon) I finally succumbed to
> the Leica mystique and bought recently a new M6 TTL (0.72, Chrome) and a new
> Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH lens (Chrome).  Needless to say, after using
> auto-everything cameras all these years, it is a joy to use a fully
> mechanical 35mm rangefinder camera.  I shoot primarily slides and B&W film,
> and the quality of the Leica lens is amazing!  Comparing slides and negatives
> shot with my quite sharp earlier Nikon and Canon autofocus fixed focal length
> lenses to the ones shot with the Summicron, I can clearly see a higher degree
> of image quality - contrast, sharpness, color and saturation.  Just using the
> M6 is a wonderful tactile experience!  Winding the film and hearing the soft
> sound of the shutter is almost a religious experience!
>
> I need your help in selecting a lens for portrait photography with the M6.  I
> am considering the 90mm/f2.0 APO ASPH and the 135mm/f3.4 APO lenses.  I can
> afford to buy only one of these lenses!  I would like to know what veteran
> users of these focal lengths think and recommend.  From time to time, I also
> plan to use the lens for landscape photography.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Muhammad Chishty

Muhammad,

I'm using R lenses, both 90mm and 135mm, and I've used both focal lengths for portraits.  The 90 is a Summicron-R, and I value its low-light capabilities.  The 135 (Elmarit-R) is better for those occasions when I (or the subject) want a little more space than the 90 demands.  With younger children the 90 is great but as they grow older (10+ years) they want more space.

I've also used the 100 APO for portraits and with kids (having unblemished skin) it also works well.  I suspect the 100 would show too much detail in adult women's skin to produce a flattering portrait.

Since these are not the same design as the Apo lenses you're considering my comments on the character of these lenses would be meaningless to you.  If I were limited to one lens it would be the 90 for its f/2.0 aperture.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!