Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Agfa 400 BW film
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:21:44 +0100

on 26/5/00 8:56 pm, E Nitka at enitka@twcny.rr.com wrote:

> A question for those on the list that use AGFA 400 BW film?  my first
> roll souped in rodinal 1:25 seemed very contrasty ( 7 min at 68F as in
> spec sheet) - grain I am not concerned about.  Is there a better soup
> for this film - I have Ilford's DDx but haven't tried it yet.

I have shot a couple of hundred rolls of APX 400 since Xmas and all of it
has been developed in Xtol 1:1 @ 68F for 11 mins. Great soup for this film.
My biggest tip besides that is that you should be more careful about
exposure with APX 400 than you would with say Tri-X, and in particular don't
over expose it if you can avoid it. It has a magic tonality at the minimum
'right' exposure, particularly in the grays and blacks, that vanishes when
you are more generous.

Check out the Leica/APX/XTOL combo in the following online pix:

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_11
    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_12
    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_13
    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_14