Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Repair
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 19:53:30 -0600

KE7GMx@cs.com wrote:

> Hi Group:  I am looking for a comprehensive manual on repairing screw-mount
> Leicas.  There is a frequent eBay advertiser, Dave Dryden, that offers
> something that he suggests is a "repair" guide but it is actually only a
> parts list.  I know that Ed Romney put out a Leica repair manual and I wonder
> how good it is?  I have his 'Graflex' and 'Contax' publications and they
> leave something to be desired??  Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.
>  Bill Carson

No question about it, you want National Camera  manual #327 (Leica IIIf)
written by Larry Lyells. This is the best piece of camera service
literature I've ever seen. Nat Cam is defunct but you should still be
able to get photocopies from Infotech in Denver for a few bucks. I don't
have their phone # handy but they were Shutterbug advertisers for years.
Also check out Thomas Tomosey's Leica repair book. Tomosey focuses on
relatively quick fixes requiring minimal disassembly.

For optical work, check out Steve Grimes' website at www.skgrimes.com
(under "misc")

I also have the Nat Cam M2 manual but it was designed to be used in
conjunction with classes so it's much more sketchy in the details and
from what I can see from my Leitz M4 manual, the original factory
literature is mostly exploded diagrams and instructions for lubrication
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado