Subject: Re: Noctilux Focusing (was Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:39:17 -0700

Simon Lamb wrote:
> Bryan
>
> When you are using the Noctilux in very low light, how do you focus the
> thing when you can hardly see the subject.  I ask this because I was trying
> to take some indoor shots with Scala at 1600 in very low light using my 50mm
> f/2 and, although I could get an exposure at 1/8 sec @ f/2, I could not see
> the subject well enough to know if I had proper focus on it.  Is the f/1
> Noctilux that much brighter that focusing is easier?<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Simon,
Nope, the Noctilux doesn't change what you see through the " rangefinder
viewfinder!"  Any differently than you looking through yours and using
an f2 lens.  Of course I've assumed you were using an M6 or some other M version.

If you were using a Leica SLR, yes the Noctilux would make the scene
brighter on the screen.  However, there isn't an R version of the
Noctilux.

But here's something that might help when you're working under tough
light conditions. I usually look for a highlight of some kind on the
subject, the eyes preferably when working at f 1.0 or wide open on
whatever lens I maybe using at the time.   And that becomes the focus point.

A highlight on glasses is always a quick point to key on if the subject
is wearing them.  If your photographing a person, in most cases if the
face is slightly at an angle to the camera,  you'll want to focus on the
eye nearest to the camera as this becomes the point you'll look at in
the finshed print or slide.

If it's out of focus you as the viewer will go crazy trying to force
your own eyes to put it into focus.

I hope this helps some.

ted

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: Noctilux Focusing (was Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative))