Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:17:29 -0700

> At 10:05 PM 5/25/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >Just out of interest, is the metering on an M6 accurate at such low light
> >levels?<<<<<<<

Tina Manley responded:
 > It is pretty accurate!  The newer M6's have more accurate metering in low
> light than the older ones.  For an available darkness photo with the the
> Noctilux wide open and 1600 film pushed to 3200 see:
>
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/amilcar.htm<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,

Beauty photograph!  Don't you just love shooting under that kind of
light condition and have them work? I'll take this kind of light
condition any day over sunlight, whether shooting B&W or colour.

The nice thing of shooting by available light means they look like what
the real world is all about, natural as we see it.  And not blown away
with, dare I say it?  "Flash!"  This in turn gives an exposure all
right, but totally destroys the natural moment as we were motivated in
the first place.

I realize some folks can't purchase a Noctilux, but all I can say is,
it's worth every penny to save for no matter how long it takes,
particularly if the photographer truly enjoys shooting things by the
light of the moment.  And is motivated by existing light.  I still like
to say even though some folks think I'm crazy, but  "If you can see it,
you can shoot it!"

And that may mean 3200 film pushed to 6400, a Noctilux wide open, hand
held 1/15th exposure!    Now that's,  "Shooting by available darkness!"
:-)  But can you ever capture some quite incredible photographic moments.

I see the topic here is, "noctilux vs. the cheap alternative".  gee whiz
I never thought one would even consider comparing a "cheap alternative
to the "great one!"  By the same token, if one isn't a fan of shooting
available light and can't appreciate what the Noctilux puts on film, I
suppose any old cheap alternative would do.

But goodness me, don't hold the images side by each, particularly if you
can't afford the Noctilux after seeing the difference!  Trust me this is
something to see and reading a description of what happens doesn't tell
you anything. It has to be seen to understand.

Everyone of us who have this lens, the Noctilux, love it for what it
cuts into film, the light conditions it allows us to work under and
record successful photographs.  No matter what we say will convince a
non-believer of what it does.

Tina, as you have proven on many occasions with your photography, this
is one sweetheart of a 50mm lens.

ted

Replies: Reply from kwilcox@mail.davison.k12.mi.us (Ken Wilcox) ([Leica] Re: noctilux vs. the cheap alternative)
Reply from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative)