Subject: [Leica] Mr. Puts and Voigtlander
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

I too have been studying Erwin Puts's reviews, and am intrigued by one
statement.

"I also compared the Summilux 1.4/75, stopped down to 2,4 . Here the
Summilux performs at ist personal optimum and we see exceedingly fine
detail crisply rendered with high edge definition and contrast over the
whole image field. The Color-Heliar is a strong performer in itself, but
the 2.5 performance is below the level defined by the Summilux-M."

Given that 2.4 is the optimum aperture for the Summilux, and that earlier
in the review he specifies 5.6 as the optimum aperture for the
Color-Heliar, this seems perhaps an unfair comparison.  I'd like to know
two things:

a) How do the two compare at 5.6?  (If you want a lens for low light, then
of course you're going to have to shell out for the Summilux.  But if
you're looking simply for an excellent short tele, this comparison is more
interesting.)

b) What does "below the level" mean?  Is the Color-Heliar close at
2.5?  Does the Summilux win be a hair, or is it a different level of
performance altogether?  (Not many of us have 75mm Summiluxes to compare.)

I am, by the way, extremely happy with the build quality of this new
Cosina.  I have it in black, and it looks and feels lovely.  Have yet to
process the first film shot with it.

Douglas Cooper

Replies: Reply from "Stephen A. Talesnick" <stephen@talesnick.com> (Re: [Leica] Mr. Puts and Voigtlander)