Subject: Re: [Leica] Ireland, Republic of
From: Neil Frankish <nfrnkish@tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:39:38 +0100

>I visited at least a dozen photo shops looking for Paterson's FX 39
>developer. None had it, but this may be because of the Irish's slight
>aversion against anything British. I was not impressed by the shops in any
>other respect either, poor selection of b+w films and they were very
>expensive. One shop had a few Leica and some lenses including a Nocitlux.

If it is the shop I'm thinking of (Conn's, its the only one really), I had
an interesting conversation with the Mike, the son of the owner, Phil.
Despite being in the EMU with Germany and unlike the UK, they are still
forced to buy Leica equipment through Lieca UK, applying currency
conversions and absorbing some of the Sterling differential (according to
them) in the process. I think that it's probably against EU rules. This
happens a lot - Ireland being so small, many things come through suppliers
in the UK, though why Leica should force the issue, I really don't know.
Having said that, I still buy film direct from the UK in bulk (units of 10
rolls) because it is still much cheaper.

Neil.