Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Contax G2: Cost
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:26:51 -0700

john wrote:

> Takeshi Hashimoto wrote:
> >
> > That's chickenfeed.
> > --
> >
> I am glad that the $1500 or so dollars more one pays for the Leica and a lens
> or two  is chicken feed to you, you must be well off indeed, but for many of
> us mere mortals this is a significant amount of money and the remark above is
> a bit eletiest, though you may not have ment it that way.  We, each or us, are
> responsible for how we allocating what funds we have, and for many of us
> justifying the extra money is a diffacult and agonizing process. There is a
> big difference in the initial cost of a new Leica and a new Contax G2, and no
> matter how much better the Leica holds it value over the years presuming it
> will, comming up with the initial investment is where the problem lies.
> John Shick

A new M6 TTL with lens is about 3000 bucks.
A new Contax with lens is about 1400 bucks
The difference is 1600 bucks.
Coming up with $1400 is much easier for a lot of people to come up with then
three grand. The big price point in the sky is right around a grand.
Three grand takes a lot more planning and thinking and wanting.
You don't get into Leica M on a whim. Most people don't. Some people and they
are here on this list DO have that kind of bucks. Most don't. I don't.
Mark Rabiner
For $1400 and whiz bang features it should sell well.
Camera world has a Contax kit 3 lenses and a flash for 3 grand!
That's pretty much the Contax system folks,
My reasonably complete Leica system is three times that.
But it's paid for. And I don't have to buy it again. It's mine. I take pictures
with it. And no one can take it away from me.

Message from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Contax G2: Cost)