Subject: [Leica] Cost
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:38:14 -0600

Our friend, Takeshi Hashimoto has contributed the following helpful answers:

> You can by and M6 for $1699 new. For less used. What's the problem?
>
>Cost doesn't really enter into it. You'll spend how much on gasoline this year?
>
>Take out a loan.

Perhaps I can expand on these tidbits of wisdom. My first Leica was a used
M2 with a used 50/2. It was not a pretty camera but it worked well and the
50's glass was clear. It cost $520US, and, unfortunately, I was getting
around by bicycle then and unable to further reduce my gasoline consumption
to help to pay for it. I purchased a Sekonic Studio Deluxe  light meter (no
batteries) for about $100US. Within two years the M2 required a CLA (about
$175US) and then I was basically set with an excellent camera for the next
15 years or so (till the next CLA). Total investment $795US. If anyone is
not as financially able as our friend Takeshi, please consider a used older
M camera. It may need some maintenance but, as long as the camera was not
trashed, it will out last you and possibly your grandchildren as well! My
financial circumstances have changed, though I still mostly get around by
bicycle, and I am fortunately able to indulge my self somewhat these days so
a few more Leica odds and sods are scattered about the house. Unless you are
a professional, I feel going into debt for a hobby is not such a good idea.
Do not forget that film and processing costs soon put hardware expenses into
there proper perspective.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Cost)