Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Contax G2: Cost
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:08:41 -0600

AWSteg wrote:

> Bud:  I am not sure your analogy works! First, we are talking about a
> Japanese camera with a 3 year warrantee not an American camera with a 6
> month warrantee.  Second, when you factor in the cost of insurance and
> maintenance / repairs owning a Mercedes it's quite expensive! Third,
> Mercedes has actually made technology improvements over the years. . .cruse
Al, If you want a Leica, it helps to be wealthy, but it also helps to be
obsessed with photography! Obsession is what makes folks scrimp and save
for a battered M4-2 and a 50mm lens when they could easily have a
brand-new SLR with 2 zooms and a flash. The Average Joe doesn't really
know what he wants but he sure as heck doesn't want some funky
manual-only rangefinder camera with just a 50mm lens. But yes, increased
brand awareness (the latest Pop Photo has great coverage of RF cameras)
and some sort of financing deal makes sense.

Al Stegmeyer wrote:
> The sad part is that it [Leica pricing] does limit the
> ability of the average college student interested in photography or just the
> average Joe with a family from having the ability to utilize and enjoy an M6
> and 3-4 lenses.

- --

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado