Subject: [Leica] Lens Hood Covers For Old 21mm-Elmarit-M and 35mm-Summilux-M
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 05:58:05 -0700

[Michael yczkowski wrote]
>I am currently looking for a way to have a front lens cap for my 1:2.8/21
mm
> Elmarit-M (old 11134) and 1:1.4/35 mm Summilux-M (11870) which I can use
> while still having mounted the respective lens hoods 12537/12504. Do you
> know of any workaround? Maybe the newer hoods with their lens hood covers
> are compatible with my lenses?

The workaround I've used is simply to have someone make a lens cap out of
semi-flexible plastic that fits just inside the rim of the lens. I put the
shade over that "cap". To use the lens I have to take the shade off and
remove the "cap", but I don't have to carry the shade separately. TAP
Plastics in SF makes the "caps" for me.  I bring in the lens, they measure
the inside diameter and make it for $2 each. Not an elegant solution, but it
works.

It would be nice if Leica started making the sort of (rubber?) shade covers
for old lenses that they make for new one. So far, they don't seem inclined.

- --Gib