Subject: Re: [Leica] Voiglander Ultron
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:50:25 +0100

on 23/5/00 12:45 pm, Kurt Miska at k.miska@french-rogers.com wrote:

> Fellow Leicaists..
> At the risk of being flamed, exiled, shunned, ridiculed, etc. What's the
> general opinion of the Voigtländer 35/1.7 ASPH Ultron?
> OK, you can stop your laughing, now.

Okay, I haven't used one, but from what I've heard my gut feeling is the
same as my feeling about the Bessa-R. Namely, that it's great, but that for
not much more you can buy a L***a. EG I got a lovely M2 for only around 20%
more than a new Bessa-R. THAT was a tough choice, right?

Similarly with the Ultron. The price of pre-asph summilux 35s is coming
right down as more and more users trade up to the ashperic version (just
like I did). Check out ebay -- when I sold mine there were four or five
others on sale. The lux is a classic, classic lens and for me there would be
no competition. I guess a beater of a 35 cron would be a better deal still.

Don't be misled by the ASPH designation on the 35... it doesn't necessarily
mean it's a BETTER lens than a non-asph. It may be sharper wide open, but
the 35 lux has other astonishing qualities that I bet the Ultron lacks.

When I bought a Nokton, I traded up within a couple of weeks to a 50 lux,
and have never regretted it.

Just my gut feelings.

- --
Johnny Deadman